Caramel Baked Apples – A Nourishing First Birthday Treat
To go along with our unconventional ways, these Caramel Baked Apples are not your traditional birthday cake, but for us, they worked perfectly! While they definitely still fall into the treat category, I love that they use nourishing and basic ingredients, are super simple, and made a delicious treat for our one year old and family celebrating with us. The ooey gooey caramel pairs perfectly with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. They would make a wonderful dessert for any occasion or could even be used as a sweet treat for a breakfast or brunch. You can scale the recipe to make however many you need.
Caramel Baked Apples
4 Apples that are good for baking (Jonagold, Honeycrisp, or Pink Lady are good options)
4 Tbsp butter (softened)
½ cup coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
¼ chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Wash and cut apples in half. Scoop out the core with a paring knife or melon ball scooper.
- Mix remaining ingredients together thoroughly.
- Fill your baking dish with just enough water to cover the bottom of baking dish completely (½-¾ cup) and place apples cup side up in dish.
- Carefully top each apple half with topping.
- Bake around 55 min-1 hr. Remove and let cool for a few minute before serving.
Tidbit: Did you know conventional apples from the grocery store are often kept in cold storage for as long as a year before being placed on the shelf for purchase? This along with apples having some of the greatest numbers of chemicals sprayed on them has motivated us to find a good local source of organically grown apples!